POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural realistic mountain ranges? : Procedural realistic mountain ranges? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  Procedural realistic mountain ranges?
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Date: 27 Dec 2017 07:08:07
Message: <5a438d27@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Resuming my "Whatmough" planet project from 2011, I would like to know
if is possible to create realistic mountain ranges (on a continental
scale) with believable drainage patterns using procedural functions. I
tried ridged_mf(), but got nothing even remotely resembling this.

Another (but very time-consuming) approach would be "painting"
topography manually, using 16-bit grayscale PNG heightfields. Are there
any heightfield editors for this bit depth around?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar