POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial project using POVRay : Re: Commercial project using POVRay Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:47:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Commercial project using POVRay
From: David Buck
Date: 23 Nov 2017 10:57:31
Message: <5a16efeb$1@news.povray.org>
On 2017-11-23 10:09 AM, clipka wrote:
> Am 23.11.2017 um 10:59 schrieb David Buck:
>> Basically, I've developed a game for Android and iOS devices and the
>> graphics for the game were all rendered using POVRay.  If people here
>> feel that it's permissible, I would like to post a short description of
>> the game with a screenshot posted in povray.binaries.images.
>
> I /think/ I recall something about you having developed something else,
> some 25+ years ago... ;)
>
>> If the consensus is that you'd feel spammed, I'd be happy to abide by
>> your wishes and not post anything here about the game (besides this
>> message).
>>
>> What do you think?  What constitutes acceptable speech in this forum?  I
>> could simply post an image to p.b.images (which doesn't contain the
>> product name) if that's an option.  I don't know quite how to handle
>> this so I'm looking for some opinions.
>
> Are you kidding? You know who you are, right?
>
> If I were asked, I'd say that we're honored that you're even still
> sticking around, and that you have all the rights in the world to
> /define/ what's acceptable in these newsgroups ;)

Actually, it was about 31 years ago when I developed DKBTrace which
became the foundation for POVRay.

Some 15 years ago or so I developed a program called ElastoLab which did
simulated physics.  I set it up so it could output a format that POVRay
could input and rendered a few physics animations to post here.  I was
chastised for spamming the group with commercial messages.

This time, I thought I'd test the waters first.  Even though I was
involved in the early development of POVRay, this is a community group
and I want to abide by community standards.  I don't just want to pull
the privilege card and post things that offend people.

Thanks for understanding.
David