POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : User:clipka assumed_gamma : Re: User:clipka assumed_gamma Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:36:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: User:clipka assumed_gamma
From: clipka
Date: 21 Nov 2017 09:44:48
Message: <5a143be0$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.11.2017 um 08:21 schrieb Kenneth:

> The *only* small addition I can think of that might be useful would be to
> mention that most image-viewer apps-- even modern ones-- may not be showing the
> *actual* embedded gamma of a PNG image. (I'm thinking of our discussions re:
> I've's IC/Lilysoft app, which *does* show the proper embedded gamma, especially
> when that gamma is wrong.) I would imagine that many POV-Ray users might jump to
> the opposite conclusion (uh, like I did)-- that most apps are 'correct' and that
> IC (or some other likewise-correct app) is actually at fault when a PNG's
> embedded gamma is plain wrong.

I already added a hint about this in
http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Clipka/Gamma#Getting_The_Output_Image_File_Right:

"The PNG file format (+FN) provides a means to inform reading
applications (e.g. file viewers) about the encoding gamma used, so
software may display the output image virtually identical regardless of
the encoding gamma you choose; however, this mechanism seems to be
falling out of favour."

Not the most explicit mention of that issue, I concede, but right now my
focus is on other stuff, so I'll leave it as is for now.