POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : qtpov : Re: qtpov Server Time
20 Apr 2024 03:36:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: qtpov
From: dick balaska
Date: 11 Nov 2017 15:15:53
Message: <5a075a79$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/11/2017 08:04 AM, clipka wrote:

> Uh... wait!
> Unix binary?
> If you go for Qt, then by all means please make sure the system in its
> entirety is portable.
> I'd presume that if you really go for separating the GUI from the
> program that renders scenes, this means writing a new Qt-based instance
> of the latter.

A Qt based render engine? Why?  There is already a cross platform render
engine. I want to leverage that as much as possible.
What I'm doing is a separate source tree for qtpov. This is the gui.
The gui launches povray (or povconsole.exe) and connects to it via a
websocket. Then the gui can instruct povray to start a render and
receive the 5 streams and in-progress graphics info.

I assume portability. I'm just doing the work on Ubuntu 16. I'm not
looking forward to doing the Windows version since my Windows 8 now is
limited to a 1024x768 window inside VirtualBox. Visual Studio will be
fun in that.

I have bsAniPic, a Qt picture viewer using the same API as qtpov. I
wrote and packaged that on Windows.  I built it on Linux, but I failed
in packaging it. I have built other c++ based .deb packages, but Qt is a
bit of a beast.   I figure I'll really work that bit out once I have
something worth showing in qtpov.

BTW, this is the colored editor:
http://www.buckosoft.com/qtpov/

--