POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to? light_source shining through a wall : Re: How to? light_source shining through a wall Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:19:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to? light_source shining through a wall
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 9 Nov 2017 03:20:16
Message: <5a040fc0$1@news.povray.org>
On 8-11-2017 14:27, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Have you tried the no_shadow object qualifier on your wall object?

Incredible! Just adding no_shadow does the trick indeed and exactly as I
need it, without the light_group even. I had not thought of this at all
as the name implies that the object does not cast shadows, not that it
also becomes transparent to the light. This is not implied in the docs.

Thanks a lot!

> If no_shadow cannot be used for some reason, perhaps the light_source's
> 'projected_through' object feature might do the trick? There the object
> could be a say thin box of sized how ever you want relative to the wall
> and toward the object(1) from the wall. To this object you'd add the
> usual no_image, no_shadow, no_reflection qualifiers as needed.
>
> Bill P.
>
> (1) - An idea I've had on my to to-try list for a long while, is to
> variously light all the rooms in a large building - or a bunch of street
> lights say - with a single light source using the projected_through
> feature with a multi-shape object providing for 'magic light wormholes'
> into each room/location. Think it would work to the first order. Unsure
> it would result in a faster render - and perhaps the look of the lights
> would be too limited...

That would be a very interesting thing to do indeed.

--
Thomas