POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : hexagon pattern + pigment pattern : Re: hexagon pattern + pigment pattern Server Time
24 Apr 2024 10:54:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: hexagon pattern + pigment pattern
From: clipka
Date: 28 Oct 2017 06:53:30
Message: <59f461aa$1@news.povray.org>
Am 28.10.2017 um 03:03 schrieb Bald Eagle:
> I was trying to create a cylindrical pigment pattern with a color map, and use
> that inside of a hexagon pigment pattern.
>
> Does the center of the cylindrical pattern not start at the center of each
> hexagon?
> This seems like odd and unexpected behaviour to me.

It's not odd at all, if you think of the outside pattern providing
"windows" to the nested pattern.

If for example the nested pattern was supposed to represent marble, you
would probably /not/ want that pattern to repeat.

To repeat portions of a particular pattern, you'll need to use a "warp".
However, there's currently no warp that takes hexagonal chunks and
repeats them.

What you could do, however, is take a hexagonal pattern with three
different cylindrical patterns, then take a rectangular chunk of that
pattern and repeat it using two repeat warps.

Or you could use just a single function pattern. Employ `mod` to make
the pattern repeat. `select` may also help. (IKEA solution - some
assembly required.)