POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Object pattern and meshes: no go? : Re: Object pattern and meshes: no go? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 12:53:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Object pattern and meshes: no go?
From: clipka
Date: 11 Oct 2017 05:12:57
Message: <59dde099$1@news.povray.org>
Am 11.10.2017 um 08:42 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> On 10-10-2017 14:59, clipka wrote:
>> Am 10.10.2017 um 09:31 schrieb Thomas de Groot:
>>> Struggling with object patterns (using meshes) I came across the
>>> following comment by Sam Benge in 2007 for his edge_pigment02.inc macro.
>>>
>>> [quote]
>>> And of course you can never use this with meshes. That is, not until
>>> somebody figures out how to convince POV into turning a mesh into a
>>> bona-fide object pattern...
>>> [/quote]
>>>
>>> Getting strange results myself, I wonder if this is still true for the
>>> current versions of POV-Ray? Are meshes (still) unsuited for use with
>>> object patterns?
>>
>> Meshes should be fine _if_ they are properly closed _and_ have a
>> (non-zero) `inside_vector`.
>>

> Hmmm... All that has been provided for in my case (including what Bald
> Eagle suggested). Still, this does not answer that cryptic note by Sam
> back in 2007. As far as I know, we already did use proper mesh2, so what
> does he mean?

The use of `mesh2` vs. `mesh` has little to do with the use of
`inside_vector` (except that `mesh2` appears to have been the first to
support the keyword, but it has been added to `mesh` as well).

My guess would be that Sam didn't know about (or didn't remember) the
`inside_vector` keyword when he did his experiments.