POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 20:17:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 15 Aug 2017 22:45:24
Message: <5993b1c4$1@news.povray.org>
On 15.08.2017 03:34, clipka wrote:
> The mesh files provided by NASA are certainly just the surface, and
> since it's not the entire planet but just a tile (or so I guess),
> turning it into a solid 3D volume isn't trivial. You'll need to proceed
> as follows:
>
> (1) Generate the mesh INC file.
>
> At this point, all you have is a mesh patch object, i.e. a genuinely
> non-solid sheet.
>
> (2) To the mesh, add an `inside_vector` specifying whatever direction is
> supposed to be "up" with respect to the tile.
>
> At this point, you have a chimera between a solid and a patch: It now
> has a well-defined inside (namely every point that is "below" the tile,
> i.e. the tile extruded "downwards" toward infinity). The surface
> definition is still patchy though (pun intended), so right now you won't
> see any effect, because POV-Ray can only render surfaces, not volumes.
>
> Note however that this chimera is already good enough to start "digging"
> using CSG.
>
> (3) Intersect the mesh with another object, e.g. a box, defining the
> dimensions of the "massive block" you want.
>
> Make sure that for any point on the box that is supposed to be "below"
> the landscape, if you trace a line in the direction given by the
> `inside_vector`, it should properly intersect the mesh (note that
> grazing it might not be enough).
>
> This step will add surfaces to the "sides" and the "bottom" of your
> block of landscape, so that they can be seen as well. If that's not a
> thing you need, this third step is entirely optional.

Thanks.

When talking about that "inside_Vector", I refer to Clipka's information
he gave me, when I mentioned that I wanted to have solid shapes (and not
hollow meshes) for POV-Ray.

My understanding of Clipka's information was, that I should open the STL
meshes in Blender and that I would find there an option to add that
mysterious "inside_vector".

When you all read Clipka's instructions, what is your understanding? I
still want to assume his information is correct.

Please continue to provide assistance to me in regards to make my NASA
STL meshes solid. Thanks.

---
http://www.avg.com