POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : "Exploded" vector transform : Re: "Exploded" vector transform Server Time
20 Apr 2024 06:34:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Exploded" vector transform
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 15 Aug 2017 01:53:50
Message: <59928c6e$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/08/2017 à 20:32, Bald Eagle a écrit :
> I'm interested in hearing different people's ideas about how to [evenly] add
> space between a group of objects / points.
>
> I was thinking about this from a number of perspectives.
>
> Making / adjusting 'exploded' diagrams like StephenS's recent vise.
> Modeling Hubbel's Law with astronomical bodies
> Modeling explosions (of course), smoke, steam, etc
> creating parameterizable complex objects like brick/stone walls, [possibly]
> parallel curves,
> and many more, I'm sure
>
> The best I can figure, is translate all of the data (if necessary) so that one
> point is the center, and then scalar multiply all the vectors, and then
> translate them back to the proper scene location.

Have you looked at same charge repulsion ? Each point get a contribution
/ movement on the opposite direction from each other point, and the
strength is proportionally inverse to the square of the distance between
the points.

For N points, you need to evaluate (N)*(N-1)/2 pairs.

You can add complexity by using a different mass for each point, and
dividing the strength by the mass to compute the movement of each step.

Another extension would be "negative gravity", taking into account the
mass of the other point when computing the strength.

You can also explore the domain of replacing the inverse square of
distance by other formulae (constant, linear, cube, log or exp,
fractional power such as 1.6 or 2.4, ... )