POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9 : Re: Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9 Server Time
25 Apr 2024 10:17:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Revisiting SSLT with 3.7.1 beta 9
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 9 Aug 2017 07:01:10
Message: <598aeb76$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/9/2017 5:05 AM, clipka wrote:
> - Whatever the details of such countermeasure would be, it would
> inevitably involve looking at the true geometric surface normal.
> Unfortunately, POV-Ray currently only passes around the fake-smoothed
> surface normal and the perturbed surface normal.

i believe this explains why i'm having difficulty with my current
project (rolly sphere) ... i thought i'd stumbled upon a cure when i
used smooth vertex weights (blender) around the edges of the hole cut
outs then recalculating the normal's. it /did/ get rid of the puckering
that i was seeing around those edges for /non/ subsurface renders but i
haven't been able to scale or sample them away entirely when using (they
are diminished somewhat) subsurface.