POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:39:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Sven Littkowski
Date: 27 Jul 2017 14:33:39
Message: <597a3203$1@news.povray.org>
On 27.07.2017 02:45, Sven Littkowski wrote:
> Hi, there is the NASA 3D Resources website, offering various vehicles
> and planetary landscapes as 3D models, formats OBJ and STL.
>
> 1. Is there any OBJ to POV converter?
>
> 2. I tried to convert the Martian and Lunar landscapes (STLs) to the
> POV-Ray format, using STL2POV:
> command line: "stl2pov -s InputFile.stl >OutputFile.inc".
> It reads STL files, and creates a POV-Ray mesh and saves that file as
> INC. But the result is horrible: instead of a block with a planetary
> surface, I get a block on the one side and a thin surface on the other
> side (90° angle!), and there are many holes in that landscape. Is there
> any better way to convert STLs into POV? I need a massive block with the
> landscape above, as I want to "dig tunnels" into it, too.
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Wow! Thank you all - so many new ideas and options!

My problem is, that I am not experienced at all with Poseray and Blender
and MeshLab, I have to find out with them, how to do these tasks. If it
is just importing and exporting, well, that is easy.

Clipka made me getting a first glimpse of many things I could do with
POV-Ray that I did not even knew about at all. Will have to explore,
might need more instructions on all these procedures that he outlined.

Actually, the NASA files seem to be massive blocks just with that
planetary surface, but I am understanding now that they are just hollow
triangle meshes. I wished,

POV-Ray would offer an easier way to replace one of the surfaces of a
box with a heightfield or mesh structure. His way is complicated - at
least for me. never done anything like that before. But then again,
mankind never explored space and other celestial bodies before, and now
we do. So I have to learn Clipka's procedures, too.

Stephen mentions a way to make a mesh solid in Blender. Here, too, I
need further instructions for my very first time trying to do such.

Compliment to everyone: we have a great spirit in this group, and a lot
of expertise! Thank you all!