POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? : Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:06:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: STL to POV (INC)?
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 27 Jul 2017 06:01:10
Message: <5979b9e6@news.povray.org>
Le 27/07/2017 à 08:45, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi, there is the NASA 3D Resources website, offering various vehicles
> and planetary landscapes as 3D models, formats OBJ and STL.
>
> 1. Is there any OBJ to POV converter?
>
> 2. I tried to convert the Martian and Lunar landscapes (STLs) to the
> POV-Ray format, using STL2POV:
> command line: "stl2pov -s InputFile.stl >OutputFile.inc".
> It reads STL files, and creates a POV-Ray mesh and saves that file as
> INC. But the result is horrible: instead of a block with a planetary
> surface, I get a block on the one side and a thin surface on the other
> side (90° angle!), and there are many holes in that landscape. Is there
> any better way to convert STLs into POV? I need a massive block with the
> landscape above, as I want to "dig tunnels" into it, too.

1. My search engine is not your search engine, so please provide
accurate links for accurate help.

2. STL will always be a mesh (collection of triangles), stl that can be
drilled is an illusion.

And how are you going to dig your tunnels ?

There is no default orientation of stl model. And no scale either.

I found  moon_near_side.stl & moon_far_side.stl, they are funny: they
use negative part of two axes (i.e. the origin is in the middle of the
square, at the bottom of the landscape), so be careful when sending to a
printer.

they use the traditional right handed for landscape (z is up).

They seems to be closed, meshlab does not show any obvious holes. Which
means you might be able to make tunnel via CSG difference/intersection,
if your tunnel are solid shapes.

They are optimized: the bottom is made of large triangles (5x6 squares),

I can use them directly in hg-povray via stl_load, but that's another story.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'a.png' (470 KB)

Preview of image 'a.png'