POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : smooth gradient color_map : Re: smooth gradient color_map Server Time
16 Apr 2024 01:01:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: smooth gradient color_map
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 26 Jul 2017 02:53:03
Message: <59783c4f$1@news.povray.org>
On 25-7-2017 18:07, clipka wrote:
> Problem #1:
>
> Linear greyscale gradients (which is what you get by default with
> `assumed_gamma 1.0`) are typically perceived as non-linear.
>
> Solution:
>
> Introduce a mechanism to interpolate colour gradients in a non-linear
> fashion. Enter `blend_mode 2`. (`blend_mode 1` was defined as a
> mechanism to interpolate gradients in a linear fashion even when
> `assumed_gamma 2.2` or similar is used.)
>

> Problem #2:
>
> Non-linear interpolation of colour gradients, if done on RGB values,
> causes colour gradients to exhibit a midway dip in brightness and a poor
> midway hue (note that this effect can be seen not only with `blend_mode
> 2`, but also with default blend mode if `assumed_gamma 2.2` or similar
> is used).
>
> Solution:
>
> Introduce a mechanism to interpolate brightness in a non-linear fashion
> while interpolating chromaticity (the relative ratio of R:G:B) in a
> linear fashion. Enter `blend_mode 3`.

Thank you indeed Christoph, much appreciated. My thoughts were not a
criticism towards the methods but more a failure from my side to
/really/ understand what was going on, and I did not go too deep into
experimentations. Your explanation is (as always) welcome and clear.
Next time I need some blending I shall certainly explore deeper.

--
Thomas