POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective? : Re: QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:40:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: QUESTION: Bump_Map not Effective?
From: clipka
Date: 24 Jul 2017 12:53:50
Message: <5976261e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.07.2017 um 00:22 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> I think, it might be a good idea to attach the bump_map file. Just for
> size reasons, it is now a JPG, but you can put it back to a PNG file.

That was a good idea indeed.

> I also added the once keyword and the map_type. Still, no change.
>
> Will apply the other correctional changes as advised. but please see my
> bump_map file and check out. Thanks.

Your bump map is way oversized in terms of image dimensions. Or, more
precisely, in terms of image dimensions vs. dynamic range. As a
consequence you get color banding, which has the effect of
disintegrating the bumps into almost infinitesimally thin lines.

For a bump map, you want to make sure that the typical "slope" in your
image is /at least/ 1 "brightness step" per pixel.

There are several ways to improve your image in this respect:

(1) Significantly reduce the bump map's size in pixels.

(2) Re-create your bump map with more contrast, to make full use of the
bit depth provided by the image format.

(3) Re-create your bump map at a higher bit depth (e.g. 16 bits instead
of 8).