POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Survey: Compilers Used : Re: Survey: Compilers Used Server Time
19 Apr 2024 22:05:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey: Compilers Used
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 24 Jun 2017 18:00:25
Message: <594ee0f9$1@news.povray.org>
On 06/24/2017 02:16 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 24/06/2017 à 14:08, William F Pokorny a écrit :
>> On 06/20/2017 04:39 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>
>> Jérôme,
>> I was just playing around with libpng16 on Ubuntu 16.04 (normally uses
>> libpng12) and I found moving to png16 removed my libsdl1.2 for some reason.
>>
>> I see Ubuntu 17.04 is using libpng16 by default. Have you had any
>> trouble with the sdl1.2 preview display on 17.04?
>>
>> libsdl1.2 was updated too for 17.04 so I'm thinking things OK if
>> releases aligned, but I couldn't see any updated directly related to
>> libpng, so not sure.
>>

> So far, I have installed on my system:
> libpng-dev (1.6.28-1)
> libpng++-dev (0.2.9-1)
> libsdl1.2-dev (1.2.15+dsfg1-4)
> libsdl2-2.0-0 (2.0.5+dfsg1-2ubuntu3)
>
> I do not see any direct conflict on the listed dependencies of
> libsdl1.2-dev to libpng.

Good to know you have no issues having libsdl1.2-dev installed with
png16. Your sdl1.2 version is the newer one. The one that got removed
for me was 1.2.15+dsfg1-3.

> Interestingly, there is a libsdl2-dev which can be installed in parallel
> to libsdl1.2-dev

Yes, I have this dual set up on my main Ubuntu 16.04 machine. SDL2 is a
non-compatible alternative to the much older SDL1.2, so we cannot just
switch to it. See: http://wiki.libsdl.org/MigrationGuide

I've have on my to-play-with list to try and update our code and build
system to work with SDL2 - in addition to 1.2 initially. I've only
managed to compile small sdl2 example programs thus far as I'm still
learning c++ so we'll see.

With SDL2 it looks like we can probably do our 2D window display scaling
with built in functions making use of the graphics hardware / gpu
functionality instead of the custom c++ scaling code we have today.

SDL2: "Simple 2D rendering API that can use Direct3D, OpenGL, OpenGL ES,
or software rendering behind the scenes"