POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : How to uninstall? : Re: How to uninstall? Server Time
19 Apr 2024 11:48:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to uninstall?
From: clipka
Date: 23 Jun 2017 18:01:43
Message: <594d8fc7@news.povray.org>
Am 23.06.2017 um 22:51 schrieb Mike Horvath:

> Next, I tried installing RC1 using my non-admin account, but the
> installation failed when trying to write to "C:\Program
> Files\POV-Ray\v3.7\agpl-3.0.txt". After switching to my admin account,
> the installation completed successfully, but did not copy the Start Menu
> items and assorted include files to my non-admin accounts. Is there no
> way to install POV-Ray for all users?

No, not really. This is a systematic issue with modern Windows (and any
multi-user system, actually), where technically the user-modifiable
portions of any given program need to be installed for each user
individually.

To my knowledge, running "pvengine.exe /INSTALL" should perform this
step for the current user.

Theoretically there would be a way to "advertise" this step during
installation, i.e. make it known to Windows so that it can automatically
be executed when a user runs POV-Ray for the first time, but that's
tricky to do, and might not be possible with the Nullsoft Installer
System (NSIS) we're using to create the installer.

The alternative would be to let POV-Ray test whether it is being run by
the user for the first time, and in that case perform the step
automatically, but again this needs some time and effort to implement
cleanly.