POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : recovering from a power outage : Re: recovering from a power outage Server Time
24 Apr 2024 19:03:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: recovering from a power outage
From: clipka
Date: 5 Jun 2017 06:07:47
Message: <59352d73$1@news.povray.org>
Am 03.06.2017 um 02:58 schrieb omniverse:
>> Am 02.06.2017 um 00:20 schrieb omniverse:
>>
>>> However, I thought maybe I could remove the last portion of the state file and
>>> still be able to continue a render that way. Idea being that if all it does is
>>> append each render block info, and the last one was incomplete or corrupt, maybe
>>> deleting back to the last complete good block would let it be usable again.
>>>
>>> Well, no good. At least if simply editing in Notepad. Yet it is obvious, or so I
>>> believe, where the blocks seem to begin and end. This is something like the end
>>> of a good state file:
>>
>> Notepad is not a good choice to try this. The data is binary, and I'd be
>> surprised if Notepad kept any binary data intact.
>
> Figured it was a bad idea. Way back when I used Windows Write to change text
> within programs that was usually okay, but only if I didn't touch anything else
> not ever having learned C programming.
>
> I installed a file code editor and got same result anyway when deleting back to
> prior ViIdINT4, which is what I'm seeing a good state file always ends with.

What exactly do you mean by "file code editor"? A text editor you'd use
for writing program code?

That would generally be of no use either.

You should really use a hex editor for such manipulations.

I've had a look at the relevant source code by now, and judging from it
there should be no problem reading a truncated file: The code is
designed to just read the state file up to the first location that
doesn't seem to make sense.