POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Some help needed : Re: Some help needed Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Some help needed
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 19 May 2017 10:21:34
Message: <591eff6e$1@news.povray.org>
On 05/18/2017 02:25 PM, clipka wrote:

> My guess is that this approach was originally used because older
> versions of OpenEXR were pretty taciturn when it came to disclosing
> their version number.
>
> However, modern versions of OpenEXR are much more cooperative in this
> respect, so getting the version information of those should be well
> possible even without `pkg-config`.

Still looking, but it might take a while to work around pkg-config.

The real reason for the usage isn't the version determination but rather
  updating the compile include and link libraries via updating the
environment variables CPPFLAGS and LIBS, respectively.

The commands:

  pkg-config --cflags OpenEXR

and

  pkg-config --libs OpenEXR

are used to get what those respective updates should be.

The Simple DirectMedia Layer needs this sort of update too. As part of
its package a built in command called "sdl-config" is provided which
works as a stand in for pkg-config. I've found no similar mechanism for
openexr.

I'm trying now to figure out where pkg-config gets its information with
the idea maybe we could duplicate the function it performs.

Interesting too - I'm not sure the usual configure include / library
overrides will work with openexr. The mechanism is certainly different
than the jpeg set up if it does.

Bill P.