POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : v3.7.1 beta.6 : Re: v3.7.1 beta.6 Server Time
24 Apr 2024 14:07:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: v3.7.1 beta.6
From: clipka
Date: 8 May 2017 01:26:06
Message: <5910016e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 08.05.2017 um 02:13 schrieb green:
>> https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-beta.6
>>
>> Happy testing!
>
> it immediately crashed on my win7 ultimate 64 box;
>
> pov-ray critical error
> failed to initialize frontend: timed out waiting for worker thread startup
>
> unfortunately, it appears that the execution of an illegal instruction
> at address 0x000000014001d6d3 has caused this unofficial
> pov-ray build to crash. <write a dump?>

Does this happen even before you have the opportunity to start the GUI?

If so, then my first guess would be that it has something to do with the
CPU-specific optimized code. Exactly what hardware are you running the
binaries on?

Otherwise, if you get that far, please post the initial contents of the
message pane.

Also, have you tried the 32-bit binaries instead?

> this is a dual-boot machine (ubuntu 16), the source compiled and ran without
> issue.

I presume that in this context you're talking about the Linux version?
Did you use the beta.6 source code there?