POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.tools.general : using povray with openGL : Re: using povray with openGL Server Time
19 Apr 2024 02:08:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: using povray with openGL
From: Stephen
Date: 17 Apr 2017 15:10:11
Message: <58f51313$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/17/2017 6:43 PM, Meher wrote:
> Stephen <mca### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> On 4/17/2017 3:50 PM, Meher wrote:
>>> For a course assignment, I need to render a scene in openGL and then add global
>>> illumination (of any kind i.e., photon mapping, radiosity etc.) to the scene
>>> using povray. I'm new to povray and I couldn't find any way of doing this. Can
>>> anyone help me out with this? Thanks in advance.
>>>

>> I am slightly confused. PovRay and openGL are two different rendering
>> methods.
>> What is your course assignment, how is it worded?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Regards
>>       Stephen
>
> The assignment tells us to implement a research paper (from a given list) and
> then add global illumination to the rendering. The paper we chose is
> http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=344795. In the paper, the rendering method is
> explained for openGL and when we asked our professor he told us to implement the
> method from the paper in openGL and then add global illumination using povray.
> So, now we're kind of stuck as we don't know how to do that.

I am just guessing, here and I would ask for clarification from your
tutor first.

If the paper describes how to create an object that can be exported as a
mesh or an isosurface or a density file. You could implement your
software to build your cloud and display it in OpenGL then export it as
SDL to PovRay. Where it can be raytraced with global illumination.

--

Regards
     Stephen