POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Does anyone still use AA, or do you just over-render? : Re: Does anyone still use AA, or do you just over-render? Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:50:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Does anyone still use AA, or do you just over-render?
From: Benjamin Chambers
Date: 12 Apr 2017 21:00:49
Message: <58eecdc1$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/9/2017 1:58 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> On occasion, I've done that as well-- downsizing large renders in Photoshop,
> using bicubic interpolation there--with pretty good results (compared to using
> POV-Ray's 'default' AA with its settings of type 1, threshold of 0.3, and
> jittering on.) But I don't use AA's default settings, as they are somewhat
> crude, visually speaking.

Good point, I need to look at updating my INI files again. I keep
getting back to the default install for one reason or another.

> BTW, something I read long ago (and my own intuition) tells me that, when
> downsizing an image, it's best not to use a straight 4-to-1 reduction (as in my
> example), or a likewise purely linear reduction. In other words, to choose
> something different (odd?), like 7-to-1 or 3-to-1, etc. If I recall correctly,
> the interpolation works better this way(?), visually.

I suspect it has to do with locality, and that using a size which isn't
a multiple of the smaller size would force pixels from a slightly larger
area (including the border around the scaled pixel).