POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation : Re: Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:42:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Output_File_Name -- missing double quotes in documentation
From: clipka
Date: 10 Apr 2017 08:01:35
Message: <58eb741f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.04.2017 um 07:18 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 4/9/2017 10:55 PM, Alain wrote:
>> Since 3.1g, probably sooner, it's possible to dirrect your image to any
>> user specified folder.
>> The use of quotes, single or double, is mandatorry whenever you have
>> space anywhere in the path. It must be as old as the introduction of
>> long file names, way back to 1995.
>> Before that, spaces where not allowed at all, and the use of quotes was
>> never needed.
>
> Is it also necessary to escape all backslashes in strings? I never could
> remember for sure.

I'd strongly recommend to use forward slashes in POV-Ray, even when
using the Windows version. POV-Ray for Windows is designed to fully
support them.

(Besides, modern Windows versions themselves are also designed to
support forward slashes; there are just a few niches, such as various
inbuilt commands of the "good" old command prompt, where there are some
caveats.)