POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : overlapping independent media containers objects : Re: overlapping independent media containers objects Server Time
25 Apr 2024 14:53:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: overlapping independent media containers objects
From: clipka
Date: 31 Mar 2017 15:08:24
Message: <58dea928$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.03.2017 um 20:45 schrieb Kenneth:

> When media objects overlap, POV-Ray does not 'combine' the different medias (if
> I remember correctly.)

You don't ;)
POV-Ray does "add" media together wherever media containers overlap.

You're right about media /settings/, such as sampling method, number of
samples etc.

> I don't remember if using a CSG 'merge' of all the containers helps with this,
> or what possible problems a merge might cause.

I have a hunch that a `merge` of media containers would screw things up
big time; to properly handle overlapping media containers, POV-Ray needs
to detect each and every surface of each and every media container; a
`merge` suppresses detection of any of its children's surfaces that are
inside sibling objects.