POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : animating wood : Re: animating wood Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:12:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: animating wood
From: clipka
Date: 9 Mar 2017 09:21:32
Message: <58c164ec@news.povray.org>
Am 09.03.2017 um 06:11 schrieb dick balaska:
> 30 years on and I have a newbie problem.
> I notice that my wood textures change depending on the camera angle.
> This is irksome.  i.e.
> http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttho1909.png
> http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttho1912.png
>
> texture{
>   pigment {
>     P_WoodGrain1A
>     color_map { M_Ash }
>     rotate x*2*rand(FamRoomFloorRand)
>     scale 1.5*inches*rand(FamRoomFloorRand)+0.75*feet
>     rotate y*90
>     translate <rand(FamRoomFloorRand)*100*inches,
>                rand(FamRoomFloorRand)*100*inches,
>                rand(FamRoomFloorRand)*100>
>   }
> }
>
> I don't recall the dude who does the wood puzzles having this issue.

I suspect what you're seeing isn't actually the wood grain, but a moiree
pattern created by that wood grain and the pixel grid.

Unfortunately, when the "frequency" of a pattern almost coincides with
the "frequency" of the pixel grid, POV-Ray's standard anti-aliasing
offers little help.

What you would need to do is to enforce some stochastic oversampling,
for example by adding a bit of focal blur. Alternatively, you might want
to try UberPOV's anti-aliasing mode 3.