POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Is there a way to collect environment data? : Re: Is there a way to collect environment data? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 03:35:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is there a way to collect environment data?
From: Alain
Date: 26 Feb 2017 11:27:35
Message: <58b301f7@news.povray.org>

> I am currently dispersing photons in a pov ray environment, however what I would
> like to do is collect properties of each photon and their interactions with the
> scene, in other words collect information on each photon trajectory. How do you
> think i could go about doing this?
>
> Thank you very much.

Photons are only stored at the location where they hit an object or
interact with scattering media.

The way I do something similar to what you seems to want to do without
using media:
Reduce your scene to be mostly 2 dimentionnal.

of the light hitting it.
Make sure that your light goes very slightly toward that plane.
Place your optical elements.

This will show you the path of your photons.

The photons that you see always stop where they show.

This is MUCH faster than using media, but don't work if the path of the
photons is 3 dimentionnal.

Alain