POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.animations : Tales from a Renderfarm : Re: Tales from a Renderfarm Server Time
19 Apr 2024 13:02:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tales from a Renderfarm
From: dick balaska
Date: 15 Feb 2017 21:21:18
Message: <58a50c9e$1@news.povray.org>
Am 2017-02-15 12:20, also sprach Dave Blandston:
> dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:
>> So huh, it is BorderChars that is slow on my i7. I never could have
>> guessed something scene-specific could do that.
>
> Hi there, I'm not sure exactly what you're describing

i5 = 3.2Ghz, 4 cores
i7 = 3.4Ghz, 4 cores, 8 threads.

So the i7 is a wee bit faster.  Also, 4 cores means the chip can do 4
things at once.  The i7 has 2 threads per core; it can sort-of do 8
things at once, but 2 threads share each FPU, I expect waiting for the
FPU to be involved.

In practice, I see the i7 average running about 80% faster than the i5.
(Looking at the Christmas tree, 26 minutes for i7 vs. 43 minutes for i5.)

But those scenes with BorderChars, the i7 is actually *slower* than the
i5.  I would think even if a thread is always waiting on the FPU, it
should still be minimally 6% (34/32) faster than the i5.

but if you identify a
> problem with BorderChars I'll be interested to know about it in case it's
> something that can be fixed.

I can't imagine anything you could do different. It's just SDL.  The
issue has to be deep in the optimization code of the M$ compiler.
Or ... I blame clipka.

> I did notice you're using FontVariationNumber 28 with the sample interior
> object. (It looks great in your animation!)

Thanks!  My problem now is, I did those 3 shots with BorderChars and
then it goes back to regular boring white characters and my brain says
"wtf, fix it, dude".

--
dik