POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : crash in origin/master : Re: crash in origin/master Server Time
25 Apr 2024 15:43:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: crash in origin/master
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 Feb 2017 06:35:58
Message: <58a19a1e$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/13/2017 05:35 AM, dick balaska wrote:
> Am 2017-02-12 10:09, also sprach clipka:
>
>> Providing me with a minimal test scene for further analysis is certainly
>> a good idea. (By all means try to replace that picture with something
>> less private though ;)
>>

> You get a povray'd arrow instead of a naked wife. (I was hoping that
> would tip something, actually) but that "fireplace" object has to stay
> for the crash. (I was able to eliminate 2 other image_maps, but this one
> stays.)
>
> http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/ttcrash.bz2
> (It's not a video, I just had to put it somewhere...)
> I've reduced it to 47K and just a handful of files.
> I hope this is somewhat useful. Any more reducing gets to be painful.
>
> $ tar -xvjf ttcrash.bz2
> $ cd ttcrash/tteo
> $ povray tteo.ini
> boom.
>
> The main file is tteo.pov.
> If you look at the bottom of that file, there are 5 included objects.
> If you comment out any one of those, it doesn't crash.
> It doesn't crash at all on Windows. It crashes 100% on my Ubuntu 14 and
> Ubuntu 16 boxes.
>
> My art does nothing fancy. There is the image_map but other than that,
> it's all sliced and diced spheres, boxes, cones, cylinders, and torii;
> basically povray 3.1g compatible.

FYI.

Took an initial look and at, at least for the Ubuntu gnu debug compiles
I have handy and current, I do not get the seg fault where the
equivalent normal compile fails... Maybe an optimization tangled issue?

I had a few existing normally compiled binaries handy from previous
specific commits. The last that worked for me was commit 7d06e7f, Fri
Sep 9 09:50:47 2016 +0200. The first that failed was commit c6a6e98, Dec
20 13:55:46 2016 +0100.

I'll have to step out for a while, but I'll plan to pick this up later
this morning after checking in here.

Bill P.