POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Color vision related data : Re: Color vision related data Server Time
23 Apr 2024 15:14:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Color vision related data
From: Cousin Ricky
Date: 29 Jan 2017 06:47:04
Message: <588dd638$1@news.povray.org>
On 01/29/2017 07:35 AM, Cousin Ricky wrote:
> On 01/25/2017 04:05 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>> "In mesopic vision, eye response varies from the photopic extreme of
>> fully
>> light-adapted (m=1) to the scotopic extreme when fully dark-adapted
>> (m=0). Note
>> that the eye is far more sensitive to blue light in the dark, making
>> blue light
>> look brighter at low light levels. (Courtesy of Teresa Goodman, National
>> Physical Laboratory, UK)"
>
> And if our eyes are more sensitive to blue light when dark-adapted, it
> must be a marvelous idea to install blue filters over car headlights,
> right?  Hence, how so many motorists with a naive understanding of how
> human vision works are conned into an illegal modification to their
> headlights that kills my night vision while simultaneously making their
> headlights *less* effective.
>
> (If the people who are blithely unaware of the existence of their dimmer
> switch weren't bad enough.)

P.S.  The "bluish" 4000 K whites referred to in the article are redder
than daylight, and far, far redder than the blue headlight
modifications.  I estimate the daylight CFLs in my bedroom to be around
4150 K to 4230 K (they are glaringly more bluish than the lights
emanating from other homes), but they are noticeably more yellowish than
the white of my computer monitor.