POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : feature request: disable file overwrite : Re: feature request: disable file overwrite Server Time
17 Apr 2024 21:48:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: feature request: disable file overwrite
From: Stephen
Date: 25 Jan 2017 06:38:16
Message: <58888e28$1@news.povray.org>
On 1/25/2017 10:25 AM, clipka wrote:
> Hm... this has me thinking: Maybe a smarter way would be to allow
> certain placeholders in the file name, which would be replaced by the
> current date and/or time when the render was started (first frame in
> case of an animation sequence).
>
> This would entirely avoid the hassle of checking whether a file of the
> same name already exists, and yet provide a convenient way to prevent
> accidental overwriting of existing output files.

Would that work when using subsets of frames?

And thinking out loud:
What is the first frame?
Is it Frame_0, Frame_1 or the first frame actually rendered in the
directory with the same base name?

Would you have a flag to switch it on and off for when we wanted to
overwrite files?

Sorry for sounding negative but I don't think this is trivial.
On the positive side. You could pop up a warning asking if the user
wanted to overwrite with an option to pick Yes/No/All (for animations)

--

Regards
     Stephen