POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Document -CC/+CC command line and Create_Continue_Trace_Log ini opt. : Re: Document -CC/+CC command line and Create_Continue_Trace_Log ini opt. Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:05:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Document -CC/+CC command line and Create_Continue_Trace_Log ini opt.
From: Jim Holsenback
Date: 7 Dec 2016 07:39:00
Message: <584802e4$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/6/2016 6:43 AM, William F Pokorny wrote:
> Per recent discussions and issue work I think we should document the -CC
> option.

agreed ... i recall this feature being added but don't remember when. at
first i thought back in 3.7 when Max_Image_Buffer_Memory was added but
after looking i don't think so ... 3.7.1??

> I think it comes to adding something like :
>
> ---
>
> Create_Continue_Trace_Log=bool  Save state information in file on/off
> +CC Save state information in file on
> -CC Save state information in file off
>
> The state or continue trave information file must exist for the
> Continue_Trace=true / +C option to work.

yep ... thanks

> to the section:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:General_Output_Options#Resuming_Options
>

> Also in that section we today have this bit:
>
> "This option reads in the previously generated output file, displays the
> partial image rendered so far, then proceeds with the ray-tracing. This
> option cannot be used if file output is disabled with Output_to_file=off
> or -F."
>
> However, I think "Output_to_file=off or -F" suppresses the creation of
> the final output image file not the state/log file needed to continue a
> trace. Thinking we might re-work the above paragraph to refer to the
> state/log file instead and drop reference to the output to file option
> here.

good catch ... think you're correct about -F

> Aside: There are other documentation updates sitting in the two
> references above, but thinking we should go after those later in
> dedicated threads for sake of clarity.

like what? might as well see if i can address those while i'm over there
anyways