POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.windows : Strange delay for larger sized renders : Re: Strange delay for larger sized renders Server Time
16 Apr 2024 10:44:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange delay for larger sized renders
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 5 Dec 2016 13:15:15
Message: <5845aeb3$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.windows/thread/%3Cweb.56edd77df9a19c455e7df57c0%40news.povray.org%3E/

> When I begin a render on a large size resolution image (10240 x 7680), PPOV-Ray
> seems to "hiccup" - it pauses, I get the spinny torus thing, the title bar says
> "[unresponsive]" and then it kicks in, I get the usual messages, and the parsing
> continues as usual.  This seems odd to me and less related the delayed stopping,
> because the rendering hasn't started yet - because the parsing hasn't even begun
> yet.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this behaviour?

Are you setting the max image buffer memory to something larger than the
default of 128MB? I'm not sure of the exact memory footprint, but
suppose you'd need at least than 10240x7680x4x4 ~= 1260MB to keep the
image in memory.

Ref:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:General_Output_Options

I admit to not having played with this option myself...

Bill P.