POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Isosurface threshold 0..1 : Re: Isosurface threshold 0..1 Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:59:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Isosurface threshold 0..1
From: clipka
Date: 24 Nov 2016 13:21:08
Message: <58372f94$1@news.povray.org>
Am 24.11.2016 um 18:40 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> This produces similar results as before, except it looks like someone
> has been chewing on it. Compare the two images I attached.

My guess would be a max_gradient issue.

> Also, I don't really know what I am doing, but taking the abs of each
> component separately seems wrong. Rather, a color should be considered
> "bad" if any of R, G or B are outside 0..1 range. Clamping R, G and B
> should also not be done.

Designing isosurface functions requires a certain way of thinking, which
may occasionally go against common intuition.

Don't let a mere feeling of "this seems wrong" stop you from examining
the approach closer and trying to understand why it may work nonetheless
(unless of course you have internalized the "isosurface way" of thinking
to such a degree that it is reflected by your gut feeling, but I don't
have the impression that this is the case ;)).