POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.advanced-users : Gamma and light sources : Re: Gamma and light sources Server Time
19 Apr 2024 04:54:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Gamma and light sources
From: clipka
Date: 18 Nov 2016 07:47:29
Message: <582ef861$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.11.2016 um 07:11 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> Thanks, guys, that really cleared up things for me.
>

> On 11/17/2016 10:54 PM, clipka wrote:
>> Whether you're using `rgb` or `srgb` is irrelevant. You can either
>> specify
>>
>>     rgb <R,G,B>
>>
>> or
>>
>>     srgb <Rp,Gp,Bp>
>>
>> where Rp=f(R), Gp=f(G) and Bp=f(B), with f(x) being a special function
>> defined in the sRGB colour space specification. The rendering results
>> are the same either way.
>
> Does the f(x) mentioned above exist in one of POV-Ray's include files
> somewhere? Would it be a good idea to include it?

No, at present the function is not exposed to the user. If there's
sufficient demand (or someone else stepping in to do the work) it
shouldn't be too difficult to add it to e.g. `colors.inc` as a macro or
user-defined function.

> Also, are there any plans for the future to support CIELAB, CIELUV,
> L*C*h(uv), HCL, etc. when specifying colors?

Since they're not used as commonly as sRGB, I doubt we'll add support
via a keyword (not until we do a major overhaul of the parser at any
rate). Note that `colors.inc` does provide various macros to convert to
and from HSL, HSV and L*a*b, and adding support for other colour models
in the same manner should be no big deal.