POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Parsing mesh2 data : Re: Parsing mesh2 data Server Time
25 Apr 2024 02:56:15 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Parsing mesh2 data
From: clipka
Date: 14 Sep 2016 04:19:18
Message: <57d90806$1@news.povray.org>
Am 14.09.2016 um 08:39 schrieb scott:
>> Fun fact:
>>
>> Trying to read obj files directly turns out to be only marginally faster
>> than parsing mesh2 data (about 3% as it seems).
>
> I thought obj files had an ascii and binary version, but I was wrong.
> That seems to be stl files. Maybe the binary stl format is faster to read?
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STL_(file_format)

Faster to read maybe, but severely limited in functionality: The
official specification provides for nothing more than flat untextured
geometry.

Also, my guess would be that STL export is slightly less widespread than
OBJ export.

Besides, there are other things that bog down import; for instance, on
my system an import of two Gen.3 DAZ figures with hair takes about 11
seconds to load the image maps (and those are only the diffuse maps; the
exporter didn't even include specular maps or normal maps), some 3-4
seconds to actually load the mesh data, and another whopping 9 seconds
to build the internal bounding hierarchy (which can be suppressed with
"hierarchy off", but you absolutely positively don't want to do that,
/especially/ for big meshes)