POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Cached Macros! : Re: Cached Macros! Server Time
24 Apr 2024 22:01:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Cached Macros!
From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 18 Jul 2016 04:05:24
Message: <578c8dc4@news.povray.org>
On 15-7-2016 1:15, clipka wrote:
> While I'm satisfied with the cross-file macro execution speed, I would
> like additional feedback from you guys about execution speed of macros
> declared in the same file. I see a slight increase there, too -- can you
> confirm?

Slight? You are kidding! :-)
The speed increase is huge in fact compared to version 3.7.
With the attached quick-and-dirty scene I get the following results
using 1 million iterations:

+av151; macro inside scene parsing time: 1 minute 5 seconds (65.988 seconds)
+av151; macro outside scene parsing time: 1 minute 6 seconds (66.971
seconds)

V 3.7; macro inside scene parsing time: stopped parsing manually after
more than 10 minutes!

Note: for using the test scene with outside macro, just copy the macro
to another place and uncomment the macro's include.

> Also, I'd like you folks to go wild trying to find scenarios where the
> caching of macros has any drawbacks, and of course find that one bug I
> have hidden there.

Not found any yet.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'clipka_cached macros_test.pov.txt' (2 KB)