POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Strange shadows under figure : Re: Strange shadows under figure Server Time
23 Apr 2024 09:20:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Strange shadows under figure
From: Alain
Date: 23 Jun 2016 00:15:25
Message: <576b625d$1@news.povray.org>

> Hi, I'm trying to render a surface I exported from a VTK visualisation software,
> but there are some strange lights under the surface

Looking at your image, it realy look like radiosity artefacts.

Things that can help:
Increasing the count value and add the second parameter. Set that second
parameter to about 10 to 20 times your count value. It set a pool of
sampling directions that are used in rotation.
Try to use a smaller value for minimum_reuse. Don't go overboard,
something like 0.001 should be enough. Default at 0.0015.
Use a smaller pretrace_end. You can go as low as 0.00125 for a large image.
Reducing error_bound may help, as reducing low_error_factor from the 0.5
default value. Note that the value for that parameter are larger than
that in rad_def.inc as they are based on the older default of 0.8 from
version 3.5.

It don't look like your area light have problems.
You can increase the sampling a lot if you use the adaptive option.
using adaptive 0 turn it ON and start sampling using only the 4 corners
points. adaptive 1 start sampling with an array of 3*3, adaptive 2 start
at 5*5 and adaptive 3 at 9*9. Using adaptive, you can use arrays of
65*65 with almost no slowdown over a 9*9 one.

If you want to use the orient option, you also must use a square array
and use the circular option.

Alain