POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.documentation.inbuilt : Lathe and Prism updates requested by Christoph. : Re: Lathe and Prism updates requested by Christoph. Server Time
19 Apr 2024 23:32:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Lathe and Prism updates requested by Christoph.
From: Stephen
Date: 26 May 2016 15:55:34
Message: <574754b6$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/26/2016 8:27 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 26/05/2016 18:26, Stephen a écrit :
>> On 5/26/2016 4:56 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> I also want to stress that it is topologically, and logically too, impossible to
define left/right with an alien over a radio link:

>> This is true but we are not dealing with aliens. (Well there might be one or two.
;) )

>> PovRay has a default handiness with Y being up. Why not use that to define
clockwise and anti-clockwise?

> Povray has no default handiness.
> There is a bit of usage and samples, but no definite handiness.

Just taking it from:

3.4.2.1.7 Handedness

The right vector also describes the direction to the right of the
camera. It tells POV-Ray where the right side of your screen is. The
sign of the right vector can be used to determine the handedness of the
coordinate system in use.

The default value is: right<1.33,0,0>. This means that the +x-direction
is to the right. It is called a left-handed system

Implied default handiness?

Anyway, if there are problems with nomenclature. Why not define
clockwise when looking from a positive Y-axis position, or whatever?
There is no need (IMO) to make the naming more complicated than the
development. :)

--

K.I.S.S. ;)

     Stephen