POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : ask help for Installation :) : Re: ask help for Installation :) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:10:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ask help for Installation :)
From: clipka
Date: 19 May 2016 13:46:04
Message: <573dfbdc$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.05.2016 um 13:57 schrieb Mengshi:
> Hello everyone!!
>
> I tried to install POV-Ray in my computer (SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop 12
> 64-bit), but I got the error as following:
>
> g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I..  -I.. -I../source/base -I../source/frontend
> -I../unix    -pipe -Wno-multichar -O3 -msse -mfpmath=sse -msse2 -march=k8
> -mtune=k8 -malign-double -minline-all-stringops  -c -o lighting.o `test -f
> 'lighting.cpp' || echo './'`lighting.cpp
> Makefile:285: recipe for target 'lighting.o' failed

You _definitely_ should contact the author of RaySAR for support, as the
POV-Ray coming with RaySAR is a patched version, and lighting.cpp is one
of the patched files.

One thing I've noticed about the modified files is that they have
DOS-style line endings (CR+LF) instead of Unix-style line endings (LF);
maybe those need to be converted.

Another thing I've noticed is that the patched lighting.cpp includes a
file called "povproto.h", which for some reason does not reside in
povray_linux_source/povray-3.6.tar, but in povray_linux_source itself.
Maybe the installation instructions fail to cover that file properly.

Just for fun, you might try compiling the unmodified POV-Ray 3.6.1
(ideally from an authoritative source, i.e. www.povray.org, rather than
the povray-3.6.tar included in RaySAR) to verify that the problems arise
from the modifications rather than a general incompatibility between
POV-Ray 3.6.1 and your build environment.