POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Just dawdling : Re: Just dawdling Server Time
27 Sep 2024 18:46:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Just dawdling
From: clipka
Date: 17 May 2016 12:47:10
Message: <573b4b0e@news.povray.org>
Am 17.05.2016 um 08:44 schrieb Thomas de Groot:

>> It's a leftover from DOS 1.0. DOS 0.1 alpha to DOS 7.xx, and Windows 1.0
>> to Windows 10, have always been case insencitive. But, who know, maybe
>> in some future time Windows could become case sencitive...
>> Also, the infamous backslash "\" comes from the bad decision of using
>> the forward slash for switches and command lines options that where not
>> to be set ON/Off (+ -) but activated by presence, like dir /w. They also
>> used the pipe "|" in some cases for no real reasons.
>>

> Like Kenneth, I have never been aware of that either! It won't change my
> habit though ;-)
>
> The use of "|" in e.g. #if (x>10 | z<=20) is legitimate though? What
> other, invalid, use are you talking of?

If I'm understanding correctly, he's talking about the command-line
parameters of some (very) old DOS commands.

At the command prompt (and in batch files), the pipe symbol has special
meaning in both the DOS/Windows and Unix world, and thus designing
commands to use the pipe symbol for their own purposes has gone out of
favour.

It has nothing to do with scene files.