POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map > solid object : Re: image_map > solid object Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:23:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: image_map > solid object
From: Alain
Date: 3 May 2016 10:27:45
Message: <5728b561$1@news.povray.org>

> Re-creating the image from scratch, using standard Pov-Ray objects, yes, that is
> an option.
> And the example image is pretty easy, simple shapes.
> But I have lots of other different images, more "artistic", not simple geometric
> shapes.
> So I'm looking for a universal solution, for any input image.
> I also used a simple 'for' to duplicate the object 10-15 times, but the quality
> is not that good (there are still empty spaces between objects) and the
> rendering time is too big (I'm rendring lots of frames, for animations).
> But, why aren't the resulting shapes solid, as far as I understoond from Pov-Ray
> help > all object are solid by default.
> If I do a simple 'difference' between 2 boxes > the result is indeed solid.

Solid don't mean opaque. A fully transparent object is solid, but you
see through it.

In your case, I'd use a height_field using a black & white version of
your image using water_level to clip the bottom part.
Next, use that height_field in an intersection with a box and apply your
image to that. You'll need to rotate the image by 90*x or the
intersection by -90*x so that they are oriented the same way.

It's probably the easiest and fastest way to proceed.

Alain