POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Inquiring about features : Re: Inquiring about features Server Time
20 Apr 2024 04:18:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Inquiring about features
From: clipka
Date: 7 Mar 2016 05:16:58
Message: <56dd551a$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.03.2016 um 00:52 schrieb Bald Eagle:

> Curious, and planting the seeds for some ideas.
>
> Can an object be defined in a scene as part of let's say for demonstration
> purposes, a difference, be rendered, but NOT take part in CSG?
> I'm not sure how useful it would be, although I can imagine having an object
> somewhere that fades out in an animation and doesn't leave a hole.
> maybe a tag like no_csg

An object that is part of a CSG but doesn't take part in CSG?
That makes absolutely NO sense to me at all. Care to try a different
approach at explaining it to me?

When you're talking about fading stuff out, I think of the "blink"
feature I've implemented in UberPOV; maybe that's what you're thinking
about? (UberPOV's features are documented in its "changes.txt" file; in
a nutshell, it allows to make an object semi-transparent /as a whole/,
without exposing its interior like a semi-transparent material would.)

> A split, or multi-image feature.
> Let's say I want to render a LARGE image, and want it split up in a 3x3 grid
> into 9 images of equal size.
> Related to this, I was thinking that the partial render feature would be nice if
> there were a way to select a region, and have it get saved to a secondary file
> aside from the main render.

Have /what/ get saved -- the partial render parameters? The image? And
what do you mean by "aside from the main render?"

Are you thinking along the lines of a kind of "auto-crop" feature,
effectively trimming down your output image to contain only the portion
actually rendered?

> a "colorblind" Trace() that can ignore all colors except the specified one.
> or ignore a specified one, and only returns regions of objects NOT that color.
> I guess it would be sorta like a combo between eval_pigment and trace().
> I can envision using a transparent background png as a pigment, and then tracing
> around it - with this new trace().   One could find outlines, make rough mesh
> models, etc.   Potentially useful in CSG once objects were created that
> originated from transparent background images.

I see nothing that stands in the way of implementing such stuff as
macros, except maybe for the fact that trace() does not currently return
UV coordinates.