POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : POV SDL Enhancements : Re: POV SDL Enhancements Server Time
20 Apr 2024 11:05:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV SDL Enhancements
From: clipka
Date: 13 Feb 2016 20:50:46
Message: <56bfdd76@news.povray.org>
Am 13.02.2016 um 09:04 schrieb Theogott:

> Seeing that in some (for example "plant growing") scenes, the POV uses still a
> lot of time in "reading Tokens", i suggest a Multi-Pass Parsing system with a
> human readable front-end and a machine-token (fast to parse) Backend.

The current plan is to compile the scene script directly into bytecode
for a virtual machine, and only then actually start executing it. The VM
will most certainly be a pre-existing one, most likely LLVM, giving us
access to optimization, JIT-compilation and the like at virtually no
implementation effort on our part.

As for a 4-level parser, I suspect that would add unreasonable
complexity to the whole thing. It might be justified if we had a team of
half a dozen people working on the parser alone, but at present I don't
see that happening anytime soon.