POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Most Needed: New Shape: Human : Re: Most Needed: New Shape: Human Server Time
25 Apr 2024 19:43:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Most Needed: New Shape: Human
From: clipka
Date: 16 Dec 2015 20:59:55
Message: <5672171b$1@news.povray.org>
Am 16.12.2015 um 23:52 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> Maybe, to extend my suggestion, POV-Ray could ask its users who know how
> to create human shapes, if one of them would be willing to offer such a
> macro or shape collection to POV-Ray, and to be credited for that. Same
> way, as other developers get credited for their works on other shapes or
> functions.
>
> i still think, my suggestion has some flesh on the skeleton. :-)

Let me re-iterate: It isn't the job of "POV-Ray" (by which I presume you
mean the dev team) to run around begging for such a donation, just
because /one/ user calls it an essential feature.

You know, somehow this feels to me a bit as if you're trying to coax the
POV-Ray team into coaxing the community to provide /you/ with such a
shape for free, because for some reason the community has so far not
been willing to provide you with such a shape directly.

To the best of my knowledge, nobody other than you has ever suggested
that POV-Ray must have such a feature.

This doesn't mean other people wouldn't love to have such a feature -- I
guess there are plenty out there who would give three cheers or more.
But I think the reason none of them has ever asked the POV-Ray
developers to provide such a shape (or see to it that someone else
provides it) is that they are fully aware that such a shape is a hell
lot of work, and that anyone asking for such a piece of work for free
/must/ reasonably be prepared to accept "no" for an answer.

So -- here's /my/ answer:

    No.

If anyone of their own free will and generosity should happen to wish to
donate such a shape to the POV-Ray project, to be distributed as part of
the standard include files or sample scenes, then I guess the POV-Ray
dev team will happily accept the gift. But I, as one member of that
team, will not go around begging for such a donation, for the same
reasons that beggars don't go around begging for, say, a Rolex. It's
just too impudent.