POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #2 : Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #2 Server Time
16 Apr 2024 02:05:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Random POV-Ray 4 SDL proposal, #2
From: scott
Date: 14 Dec 2015 09:50:20
Message: <566ed72c$1@news.povray.org>
>> All object properties are set via identifier, rather than anonymlously
>> by position; for instance, instead of
>>
>>    sphere { CENTER, RADIUS }
>>
>> it will be:
>>
>>    sphere {
>>      center: EXPRESSION ;
>>      radius: EXPRESSION ;
>>    }
>>

> I personally like this form though more verbose. Any syntax more
> explicit about what property is being set is much clearer to new users
> especially - expect many periodic users too.

Why not allow both styles? Is there any benefit to forcing one way or
the other?

> Perhaps it is just my long term memory is less capable than others, but
> after being away from POV-Ray for a time I always find myself again
> looking up syntax for things. Why my own SDL generating code tends to
> look like:

The problem is though, you'll forget whether the parameter is called
"center", "position", "location" or "centre", and then have to look it
up anyway. And that's for something simple like a sphere. Imagine you
come to include something as horrendously complex as a cylinder or cone
in your scene, what are the parameter names for the two end points?
Personally I find it far easier to remember the order of parameters than
the names.