POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Metal textures : Re: Metal textures Server Time
20 Apr 2024 10:44:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Metal textures
From: Sherry K  Shaw
Date: 12 Dec 2015 15:04:36
Message: <566c7dd4$1@news.povray.org>
clipka wrote:
> Am 12.12.2015 um 07:32 schrieb Sherry K. Shaw:
>
> That said, the use of "diffuse" (and, by extension, "brilliance") in
> metallic textures has no physical justification, and is only there
> because back then the primary approach to designing textures was to
> tweak them until the author thought it looked as realistic as he could
> possibly manage, rather than starting from principles of physics.
>
> As for using "brilliance" in metallic textures, it makes the diffuse
> component appear more highlight-ish, and highlights are what our brain
> expects from metallic surfaces.

Ah...so with the proper application of rules #6 through #9 above, what
used to be "brilliance" is now thoroughly covered by the proper use of
highlights and reflection...?

Must study further; good excuse to make some pictures.  :)

Thanks!

--Sherry Shaw

--
#macro T(E,N)sphere{x,.4rotate z*E*60translate y*N pigment{wrinkles scale
.3}finish{ambient 1}}#end#local I=0;#while(I<5)T(I,1)T(1-I,-1)#local I=I+