POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Poll: Any Build Problems? : Re: Poll: Any Build Problems? Server Time
25 Apr 2024 08:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Poll: Any Build Problems?
From: William F Pokorny
Date: 13 Nov 2015 14:44:55
Message: <56463db7$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/13/2015 05:55 AM, clipka wrote:
> We've been having problems with the Unix build process in the past, often
> related to the boost libraries. I'm wondering where we're at with these issues
> right now with the current master branch.
>
> If the 3.7 build process has ever failed to work "out of the box" for you (i.e.
> strictly following the baseline build instructions described in `unix/README`),
> I'd love to hear from you:
>
> - What variant of Unix are you using?
> - What version of the boost library are you using?
>
> - Does the official stable 3.7.0.0 build "out of the box" on your system?
> Otherwise, what problems do you encounter, and how (if at all) do you manage to
> get it to build?
>
> - Does the current master 3.7.1-alpha.8344773 build "out of the box" on your
> system? Otherwise, what problems do you encounter, and how (if at all) do you
> manage to get it to build?
>
> - Any other observations?
>

> (Please do NOT reply if the 3.7 build process has always worked perfectly fine
> for you.)

Christoph,

Let me start by saying when we pull the source code (master) with:

   git clone https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git

what we get for README* files in the unix directory is a bit confusing.
Namely:

README -> I believe this is an old linux build from source instruction file.

README.MD -> This is the valid one I think and "probably" some developer
script is/was supposed to replace the README above with it before ship.
This README.MD is OK except at the bottom where the dependencies are
listed. For the "boost" libraries it has :

     libboost-dev

which is incorrect for debian based systems and should be :

     libboost-all-dev

or perhaps the following would work (not tried it) :

     libboost-thread-dev

Aside: I think libboost.dev - which exists - is needed for developing
individual boost libraries and so not what povray needs.

README.unix -> Old 3.6 linux install information along with a some
information that might still be useful.
README.bin -> For the days when some linux binaries were provided I guess.

------------------------------- On Ubuntu 14.04.01

The master or 3.7.1-alpha.8344733 branch worked fine, while the
3.7-stable branch still required the extra:

  LIBS="-lboost_system -lboost_thread"

on the ./configure command. The ./prebuild is also noisier warning wise
with the stable version, but worked for me.

A surprise for me is that the 3.7.1-alpha.8344733 version of povray
--benchmark ran about 19% slower than the stable or 3.7.0 version in
several trials. Expected? There are additional original rays shot in the
master branch - much less than 19% more - but maybe these extra rays
"heavy ones" compute wise?

Bill P.