POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : Forked for VS2015 : Re: Forked for VS2015 Server Time
19 Apr 2024 15:01:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Forked for VS2015
From: clipka
Date: 12 Nov 2015 17:53:22
Message: <56451862$1@news.povray.org>
FYI, I've just checked in some updates to POV-Ray to improve
compatibility with Visual Studio 2015. According to my own tests, the
official VS 2010 projects should now build flawlessly after automatic
conversion to VS 2015.

The pre-packaged version of the OpenEXR library turned out to contain an
issue that does not affect VS 2010, but causes compile errors with VS
2015. This was solved by upgrading to the latest stable version (2.2.0).
I've also changed the eLut and toFloat projects' custom build steps to
run after the Link step now, rather than the Manifest step that turned
out to cause trouble with VS 2015. The h44LogExpTable project, which
also included a post-Manifest build step, has been dropped entirely, as
the file it would generate is part of the official OpenEXR source
package anyway.

The pre-packaged version of boost also turned out to be problematic, as
it didn't provide a useful compile-time configuration for VS 2015, so
I've upgraded it to the latest stable version (1.59.0) as well. This
turned out to be incompatible with our attempts to suppress VS 2010's
C++0x features, but changing the project settings to re-enable C++0x
showed no ill effects with the current code, so that's what I've done.

There was one last boost-related issue with VS 2015, stemming from the
fact that we were using one and the same .cpp file to generate the
precompiled headers for multiple statically linked libraries (see
https://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/1260338 for
details of this known quirk); to solve this, each library now has its
own dedicated .cpp file for precompiled header generation.

The only other thing left to do was add settings for VS 2015 to
POV-Ray's compile-time configuration.

Given how flawlessly the VS 2010 projects now seem to compile on VS 2015
after automatic conversion, I guess we'll refrain from including
official VS 2015 projects for a while longer. This way we won't have to
worry about the projects for the different versions getting out of sync,
e.g. when new source files are added.