POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Real mountain 3D-profile : Re: Real mountain 3D-profile Server Time
19 Apr 2024 03:47:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Real mountain 3D-profile
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 3 Nov 2015 19:45:41
Message: <56395535$1@news.povray.org>
On 03.11.2015 12:08, Martin Lacher wrote:

> For a school project with my class, we drew a mesh over mount Pilate
> (switzerland) and extracted all heights from the map.

when you say mesh in this context, do you mean a rectangular grid?

If so the height data is essentially an image that can be used with
height_field, except for the file format. You might be able to convert
the excel data into ppm/pgm which has an ASCII based variant and is
supported by POV-ray

   http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc/ppm.html

Otherwise you need to go with a mesh. Since the mesh in essence
still represents a height field it is probably not necessary to uv-map
it, defining pigment without uv-mapping will allow you to project the
the satellite imagery "from above" which should be what you need.