POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.pov4.discussion.general : Reviving some pov4 discussion : Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion Server Time
19 Apr 2024 14:25:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reviving some pov4 discussion
From: clipka
Date: 31 Jul 2015 12:10:05
Message: <55bb9ddd$1@news.povray.org>
Am 31.07.2015 um 06:37 schrieb Anthony D. Baye:

> If we go this way, I would like to see some object-oriented capabilities (e.g.
> the ability to create an object and instantiate it multiple times with different
> attributes rather than wrapping it in another object { } block)

That's what I want (and intend) to see, too.

> I would also like to see recursive function definitions, but not knowing how
> complex this is, I consider it secondary.

Once we throw out our current function VM and replace it with LLVM, that
should be possible.

BTW, one of the most recent changes (1b5aab6) involved abstracting the
current function VM out of the core code. From the render engine's point
of view, LLVM could be introduced any moment now - "only" the parser
would have to be adapted.