POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Make fails on install : Re: Make fails on install Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:26:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Make fails on install
From: clipka
Date: 3 May 2015 15:01:32
Message: <5546708c@news.povray.org>

https://ubuntu4questions.wordpress.com/2015/01/13/how-do-i-install-the-ray-tracing-application-pov-ray-on-12-04/

> Does that not load the master instead of the branch?

It does indeed, as demonstrated by the output of ./configure:

> Configure POV-Ray version 3.7.1-alpha.8032017

If you really want to get the 3.7.0 stable (which carries the official
label "v3.7.0.0" in the git repository) in this manner, you'll need to
issue an additional git command:

     git clone https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray.git
     git checkout v3.7.0.0

However, this really isn't the recommended way to get the POV-Ray source
code, as it actually copies the entire git repository (i.e. each and
every version) to your local computer, which is probably not what most
people want.

While you can also use the git command to get a snapshot of any
particular version of POV-Ray, my personal recommendation would be to
just download an archive of the desired version from the github website,
extract it into an empty directory, and commence with the prebuild step
from there.

At the time of writing, the following links should take you directly to
the download of for the 3.7.0 stable and the latest version from the
master branch, respectively:

     https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/archive/v3.7.0.0.tar.gz
     https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/archive/master.tar.gz